Friday, November 27, 2009

CenterStage Spotlight Challenge

It's time for another GinaK CenterStage Spotlight Challenge Blog hop! You might have expected more Christmas cards and I should still make several more, but I needed a soft, serene card for a friend who is going through some tough times and this is what I ended up with...you know how that is when a card just seems to take on a life of its own?!

Our challenge for today's CSS Blog Hop was to stamp on patterned paper. Most of the patterned paper I have is bright and busy and would not elicit the calm peacefulness that I was hoping for, so I opted to try one of Emily Giovanni's textured digital prints. I printed it on a single sheet of card stock, trimmed it into several pieces, stamped the pears (from Asela's Fruitful Harvest) in Memento Rich Cocoa onto one, then used OMS with Prismas in greens and teals to add some shadows and highlights. I added a light umber shadow with the pencils where the upper pear overlays the lower, but all the rest of the shadows around the images were added with Copic markers (W1, W3 and W5). I used a waterbrush to layer on a thin glaze of Stickles to add the sparkle that was the second requirement of today's challenge.

For the card base and layers, I used GinaK Pure Luxury card stock in Green Apple, Moonlit Fog, and Tan Leather. All of the edges were inked with Tim Holtz distress ink and then distressed and stitched. I kept the embellishments simple, using some organdy ribbon and self-adhesive pearls. For the bonus challenge to coordinate the inside, I repeated the same layers and embellishments, including a sentiment framed by pearls, with plenty of room left to write some encouraging words.

For me, even though this isn't a spectacular card, it epitomizes the ideal in card-making...it was simple and relatively quick to create, it uses classic imagery and embellishments which transcend time, and it was made specifically for the personality/style (classic, understated elegance) of the one who is to receive it for this particular time in her life...every stroke and stitch was made with compassion and care, and it will be sent full of prayers, well-wishes, blessings and hugs. That's what it's all about!

Here are the links to the rest of the designers participating in today's hop!


23 comments:

  1. Deb, this is beautiful! I love the colors and the sparkly pears! Your friend will love this card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, Deb. This just stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely, lovely Deb - I like how you did the simple HUGS on the inside - this is truly serene and calm yet beautiful. How thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very, very pretty Deb! Love the way you glittered the pears, just a gorgeous card and perfect color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb this is gorgeous. I love the bow, and the pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your soft and serene card Deb! I'm sure your friend will too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb- this is a gorgeous card. Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So soft, pretty and sweet Deb! Your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, Deb! I love the softness and the clean design. Great idea adding the thin layer of Stickles that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card is gorgeous inside and out, Deb! I love the shimmery pears!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, simple or not; this is gorgeous. I love the stitching and the pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful card - I love the colors and the inside sentiment is exactly what someone going thru a tough time would need! What a caring friend you are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deb, this is beautiful1 I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've definitely created a serene card. I love the finish you've added, it almost gives it a soft leather look from this side of the computer. Your finishing touches are gorgeous. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deb your card is Gorgous!! Love the DP you used and the way you did the ribbon/bow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card Deb!!!! Love everything about it!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMGosh this is just stunning!!!! I love the glitter of course.....and the inside is just as elegant!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Deb what a wonderful card, I love the sparkly pears and the wonderful layout. All around fantastic card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful card, Deb!! I LOVE those pears and you've showcased them beautifully!! THank you so much for playing along with my challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Deb this card is GORGEOUS!! I love the colors and how you tied the piece of ribbon across the corners, and the bobbles across the bottom!

    ReplyDelete