Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Daddy-O


I'm very grateful for design team deadlines that help me get ahead of the game when it comes to cards for my own family and friends!  This weekend is Mother's Day, but I've been working on a Father's Day card!  I am blessed to still have both of my parents, something to really celebrate since they're in their 80's.  I am feeling especially blessed this year since my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last November and came through her surgery without requiring chemo or radiation.

My GRS team mate, Kelli, posted a sketch on the GRS blog a few days ago, and I thought her design would work with the ties from our appetizer set, Daddy-O.  I modified her sketch slightly so that I could use a menswear paisley print for part of the background, and kept it standard A2 sized so I can mail it home to Louisiana when the time comes.

Masculine cards can be such a challenge!  My guys like it best when I keep things simple, so the interest has to come from something other than pretty ribbon tied into a frou frou bow!  For this card I used a Spica pen to add some subtle sparkle so that the ties look like shiny satin and the crown, metallic gold.  I would not normally use bling on a masculine card, but in this case the king of the castle (AND the remote control!) has jewels on his crown.  I even gave Dad's chin a little 5 o'clock shadow using a BV Copic marker.

Check out the Gourmet Rubber Stamps available at i {heart} papers.  Look for more Daddy-O inspiration in the GRS gallery.   Play along with Kelli's sketch on the GRS blog.  And have a Happy Mother's Day!  :)

Notes:
Daddy-O
Authentique Free Bird designer paper
Copic blending paper
Memento Rich Cocoa ink
Copic markers
Spica pen
Nestabilities circles and classic circles
satin ribbon
bling

2 comments: