Thursday, April 5, 2018

They Shall Be Comforted!


I find sympathy cards so very difficult to make.  Even when making one to have in the card stash for when the occasion inevitably arises (in advance, not knowing who the recipient will be), I find them a challenge.  Having a specific friend in mind and praying as I make the card is sometimes easier, at other times harder.  They're definitely a labor of love either way.


Having lost a dear friend not long ago, I wondered whether a brighter, more colorful, less somber card would maybe help to lift the heaviness of spirit one feels after the death of a loved one.  I decided to use some beautiful floral Graphic 45 papers and the new blueprint distress oxide ink that I recently received from Stamp Simply.  

To make the focal oval for the card front, I misted some watercolor paper with water, then dabbed some ink onto a stamp block and squished and wiggled the block onto the paper to manipulate the color.  I added some drops of water and some splashes of diluted Delicata Celestial Copper ink, dried it all with a heat tool, and then stamped the sentiment.  


I repeated a similar process for the inside of the card, although this time I decided to experiment on regular white card stock to see the difference.  Because the colors do not move as readily on this paper as the paper specifically designed for watercolor, the colors are not quite as clear and vibrant.  The paper buckled slightly but I just went over it with a warm iron to flatten the fibers.  Since I was not "scrubbing" the paper with a brush, it held up well enough, although I do prefer the look of the brighter colors.  The one advantage of using regular card stock inside is that it is easier to write on than textured watercolor paper.  

I'm grateful for God's promise of comfort, and for friends who stand together to share the burden of grief!  I hope this card will be a comfort to the one who receives it.  xo

Here are the links to products for today's project:

No comments:

Post a Comment