Thursday, December 7, 2023

A Light to My Path


Hello everyone!  Thanks for visiting my blog on this important, memorable and sacred day.  It's the 82nd anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor (always makes me think of my dad who served in the USNavy during WWII although not in Hawaii), and it is also the beginning of Hanukkah.  The lighting of the first candle of Hanukkah will be this evening.

I am honored to have several Jewish friends in one of the knitting/spinning groups that I attend; we met Tuesday morning and I was able to hand deliver this card with a hug instead of a signature so that my friend has the option to either keep it or "pay it forward."  


This star fold is the perfect fancy fold for a Hanukkah card, forming the shape of the star of David.  This sentiment is from one of the stamp sets in our Lighthouse series, laid against a backdrop of blue, white, silver and gold.  The variegated silk, sheer metallic ribbons, fragile silver "greenery" and pearls make this a lovely, elegant card.


Here's what the card looks like when it is opened.  Take care when attaching the circular focal point that you adhere it only to one of the front panels.  It doesn't really matter which one, so long as the card can still be pulled open!  


The sentiments inside are a combination of die cut and stamped elements.


Here's a closer look..."from our house to yours."  


I'm including the various resources I came across in the making of this card...seeing things repetitively from different perspectives helps me understand how to do it better, so I'm sharing them all with you!
 
Larger version (the one I followed; similar process to the smaller one below but scored with a score tool at 5 1/4 and 7)

Make an easy envelope for a 6 inch card (but the above card is closer to 6.5 so the envie measurements had to be tweaked a little and it was still a tight squeeze!)

Smaller version (video shows the process well, although of course the measurements are different than above; the big advantage to smaller is that it doesn't require a 12 x 12 sheet)

Star fold cards on Pinterest

Another resource in metric that has more of a "formula" with a ratio to make the card in other sizes

And a little bit about the colors of Hanukkah and why I chose blue, white, silver and gold for today's card.

Happy Hanukkah to all those who celebrate!  Praying for Israel!  💙  

Supplies:



No comments:

Post a Comment