Thursday, September 7, 2023

#1 Coach Appreciation Card


Welcome back!

School started weeks ago here in Florida. Now, with Labor Day behind us, the rest of the country is following suit, and last weekend was the beginning of college football. I guess that is what sparked the idea for this project.

I've had this Craft Consortium Metal Textures paper for a while, and every time I've thumbed through it I've thought that this hammered copper texture would work for a basketball.  Finally I have gotten around to giving it a try!  


I found an easy online video tutorial for sketching a basketball.  I die-cut a big circle and then sketched the lines in. Would have been easier to ink and shade them but I thought it would be kinda cool to paper piece and distress this one.  I added a bit of Copic marker shading to help give the illusion of roundness to the ball...so what do you think?!  Does the hammered copper texture pass for cow leather (basketball) or pigskin (football)?!  It was fun to see if it would work!

The #1 Coach tag was made by running a narrow strip of red card stock through one of those old-fashioned clicky Dymo label makers.  I grunged it up by gently rubbing over it with an inky finger, which also helped the lettering to show up more clearly. The blue mat behind it is cut with one of the dies from the Tim Holtz Collector die set.  Here's where there is the opportunity to introduce team colors to an otherwise "neutral" card.     


I wanted to try a football version too, but ran out of glue before I could finish it!  Here's how it looks so far...and here's the video for that if you'd like to try to make one.  Notice that for this one I just used the shiny black clicker tape that originally came with the Dymo.  


The sentiment on the card front, from Stamp Simply's Pastor and Ministry Appreciation stamp set, was stamped directly onto the brick textures designer paper. The "blue ribbon" dies shown here are more from the TH Collector set.  

Here's the inside, with a couple of stamped "tickets" (also from Collector) to continue with the sports theme.  We have two sentiment stamps that are very similar but from different sets, so I listed them both here so you have options!  And if you'd like something other than the ticket dies, the "Train Up a Child" sentiment from our Scripty Background Minis #1 might also work very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment