Thursday, April 11, 2024

Make Mine a Tall One!


In a little more than a week I'll be heading to Scotland on a trip with the "Yarnie Ewes," patrons of the central Florida yarn shop Olive & Two Ewes.  Scotland can be chilly and damp in April, so I have been knitting a few warm things to take on the trip!  One is a sweater which...after knitting almost half of it, I realized it was turning out too big...so I frogged it and started over.  Now I'm knitting "overtime" to try to finish it in time for the trip, and so lately knitting has frequently accompanied my morning coffee and has taken up a large portion of my days.  Since this paper looks like knit stitches to me (and I saw this clip on Pinterest), the idea for this card was born!


This is a really easy construction that looks more complicated than it actually is.  The circles cut from the front are used to make the flap, sandwiching the banner between the two layers.  (I did re-cut the circle of designer paper to a smaller size for layering so the mat would show underneath, but you wouldn't have to do that unless you want to).  

The end of the striped designer paper is a bit longer than the banner, and is glued onto the back of the card leaving just a little space between to accommodate the bulk of the fold when the card is closed and the fishtail banner is threaded through the opening (you'll see this in one of the photos below, so if it isn't making sense yet, hopefully it will before long!)


I love combining prints, and while shuffling through Craft Consortium paper pads, I discovered how beautifully these two designer prints from two different pads work together.  These colors are so scrumptious!  Our leafy sprigs mimic the shape of the leaves in the Bloom & Wild paper so I die cut some from white paper and colored them with various Copic markers, adding a little texture with some daubs of distress oxide inks.  There's some wispy tulle, a clear button, and some jute string to finish off this bow embellishment.  


Here's what you see when the front of the card is opened...

...and the entire sentiment is fully revealed as the banner layer is flipped open (and here you can see that tiny sliver of space that I mentioned earlier).

Supplies:

Thanks for visiting!  Hope to see you next week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment