Thursday, June 1, 2023

American Eagle Dad!

When I first saw our American Eagle stamp set I knew that I'd have to make a "leather" jacket with that iconic eagle!  It goes perfectly with this cool embossed metal designer paper which is probably one of my very most favorite masculine prints ever!  

I stamped the eagle on a 5.5 inch square piece of copy paper and made a rough sketch of a jacket with a pencil, inking in the lines with a black marker when it felt like the proportions were working. I then made two copies of the template on card stock, one to leave "whole" to use as a base for the paper pieced one made out of "leather" embossed card stock.  (Make sure to label the pieces of the one you plan to cut apart so you know what goes where and which is the right side!  If you click on my sketch you should be able to print it actual size if you want to use my template).  


Keeping the jacket's proportions correct meant that the jacket sleeves would overhang the 5.5 inch card base, so I opted to cut a 7.5 inch square base and glue the 5.5 inch card into the center of it.  That gave the jacket room to "breathe" and also provided the opportunity to add a border  of Stars and Stripes which really boosts this card's curb appeal!  


I wanted to give another option for those of you who might not have leather textured card stock.  This black jacket version was made by dampening thin black card stock with a spritz of water and then crinkling it over and over to get the desired effect.  With thicker card stock it looks even better to actually peel the layers of dampened card stock apart...and that produces an effect that almost looks like suede!


Here's the inside of this one with brick textured paper.  I couldn't decide what to use for a border (thought I had some screw brads from way back when but I couldn't find 'em) so I just changed the placement of the sentiment on this one.  

Supplies for tan "leather" American Eagle jacket card:
Supplies for black "suede" American Eagle jacket card:

2 comments:

  1. Your card is wonderful! I appreciate all the thought you put into all of your cards! Thanks so much for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete