Monday, November 9, 2009

Recipe Collecting!

I'm very excited that my friend Chris Dickinson invited me to take part in this week's Creative Cuts and More Blog Hop. This is a 2-day extravaganza of recipes, with 24 artists participating each day. Can't wait to see what delicious new ideas are along the way! I'll be back tomorrow to share the album I've been working on, and to share some favorite Sweet Treat recipes, but for today I thought I'd share with you a couple of old family favorites.

This first recipe is one that I use on *everything* when it comes to savory dishes. You may have seen the gourmet brands of Creole seasoning at the market...I like to make my own because it is fresh and fabulous, plus I can adjust the proportions (some like it hot!) and leave out the MSG, so here's my own version of Cajun yumminess that gets my authentic stamp of Louisiana approval! ;) (I think that sizes of jars/bottles change periodically...it doesn't have to be exact!)
Creole seasoning
28 oz box Morton's salt
1.5 oz box ground black pepper
2 oz box ground red pepper
1 oz bottle pure garlic powder
1 oz bottle chili powder

Mix well (be careful for the *fumes*...it's strong stuff!) and store in an airtight container. As you can see, it makes a bunch!
The second recipe I'd like to share is from my days at Westlake High School in Mrs. Farley's home economics class! She taught our class how to make yeast rolls, and I've made this recipe nearly every single year since! We love having fresh bread with our holiday meals. It goes quickly around here! Last year when I made it, I called Mrs. Farley to let her know how much we have enjoyed having them each and every year.
Refrigerator Rolls
2 pkg yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening; melted
1 egg; slightly beaten
5 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Pam

Add warm water (~80 degrees) to yeast.

Scald milk. Pour into mixing bowl with sugar, salt and shortening. Mix
well.

Add 2 cups of flour, softened yeast, and beaten egg to milk after it has
cooled to lukewarm. Add remaining flour and milk. Turn soft dough out
onto lightly floured board. Knead until satiny.

To refrigerate (option to bake later): Oil a bowl. Place dough in bowl and cover with wax paper and a towel. Allow to come to room temperature before using.

Spray muffin tins (or loaf pans) with Pam. Shape dough into rolls. Cover lightly with wax paper. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk.

Bake in 425 degree oven for 15-25 minutes, until golden brown. Brush with
butter as rolls come out of oven. Remove immediately from pan. Serve hot.
Fresh bread is a lot of work but it is SO worth it! I like to make about 1.5 dozen clover-leaf rolls and use the remaining dough for loaves. Goes great with leftover ham or turkey! You could probably half this recipe to make it in your bread maker if you wanted to. I did that with a Southern Living sourdough bread recipe that I kept going for almost 10 years.

I hope you have fun as you make your way through today's hop! There'll be lots of yummy eye candy as well as recipe goodness to enjoy! Come back tomorrow for the Sweet Treats round! Hope to see you then!

2 comments:

  1. Yum-O recipes Deb! I can't wait to give them a try! I'll be back tomorrow to check out your book.

    ReplyDelete